For the past couple of years Orbit Books has been posting a chart counting up common elements of fantasy novels. Now that I have finals (or near-finals) for the six covers I ordered, it occurred me to count up which of these boxes I've ticked. [I'm classing 'Stray' and 'Lab Rat One' as science fantasy, so can squeak them in.]
- Damsels (distress varying) x 6
- Sword x 1
- Castles/Citadels x 1 (arguably - there is a gorgeous hazy suggestion of one in the background of 'Champion')
The magic on the cover of 'Stained Glass Monsters' isn't quite 'glowy' (though Faille certainly is!), and I can't see any other categories I can mark down. [I'm presuming 'headshots' are of the "Boom! Headshot!" variety and not simply a close-up of a person, though I don't have one of those either.]
As I read the chart, two things occured to me:
- Why is Orbit counting damsels but not dudes? Seems one-sided.
- This survey is so ripe for silly categories.
My top suggestions for cover categories are:
- Would you like goggles with that?
- Ta-tas out.
- What is HE compensating for?
- I - I'm not sure what that IS.
On the good and bad news front. I have written quite a lot this year! I have continued to make forward progress on Tangleways (finally g...
Cute Demon Crashers is unique in my experience. Admittedly, I'm not an expert in the otome gaming area, but most (non-puzzle/time mana...
Just checking in. Making steady, if slow, progress on Tangleways . I'm still aiming to finish it this year, but haven't been nearl...
Here at last! Sorry for a slow writing year. In a huge contrast to Firsts , Kings has only a single (somewhat involved) sex scene. It has...