For the past couple of years Orbit Books has been posting a chart counting up common elements of fantasy novels. Now that I have finals (or near-finals) for the six covers I ordered, it occurred me to count up which of these boxes I've ticked. [I'm classing 'Stray' and 'Lab Rat One' as science fantasy, so can squeak them in.]
- Damsels (distress varying) x 6
- Sword x 1
- Castles/Citadels x 1 (arguably - there is a gorgeous hazy suggestion of one in the background of 'Champion')
The magic on the cover of 'Stained Glass Monsters' isn't quite 'glowy' (though Faille certainly is!), and I can't see any other categories I can mark down. [I'm presuming 'headshots' are of the "Boom! Headshot!" variety and not simply a close-up of a person, though I don't have one of those either.]
As I read the chart, two things occured to me:
- Why is Orbit counting damsels but not dudes? Seems one-sided.
- This survey is so ripe for silly categories.
My top suggestions for cover categories are:
- Would you like goggles with that?
- Ta-tas out.
- What is HE compensating for?
- I - I'm not sure what that IS.